STEP 1 Your doctor’s office will schedule the date of your surgery.
STEP 2 Keep your schedule as open as possible on the day of your surgery. Sometimes, APEX may need to change the time of your scheduled procedure.
STEP 3 Preoperative testing and medical exam – your surgeon may require these tests by your primary care physician. Find out if you need any tests prior to your surgery.
STEP 4 1-2 weeks prior to surgery, a nurse from APEX will contact you by phone to review your health status. Be sure to inform him/her if you are taking any medication to thin your blood.
STEP 5 APEX will call you the day before your surgery between 12 and 2 pm to confirm.
- Nothing to eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery.
- Stop taking any mega-doses of vitamins or herbal medications/supplements IO days before surgery.
- Take your prescribed medication the morning of surgery with a small sip of water as directed by the nurse during your preoperative phone call.
- This is a great time to quit smoking; recovery and healing will be improved.
- You may not drive a car or operate machinery for 24 hours after surgery.
- You need a ride home – both for the ride and for the company, with a responsible adult. (18 years or older)
- Most people find loose fitting clothing is the best.
- Leave all your valuables at home, including jewelry. All rings & piercings should be removed.
NO METAL JEWELRY IS ALLOWED.
- Leave your contacts at home – bring glasses and a case.
- Bring a valid driver’s license or form of I.D. and your health insurance I.D. cards with you, both primary and secondary.
- Bring a copy of any health care proxies, or advanced directives with you.
- Parking at the surgery center is free. You can be dropped off at the front door (under cover) if you wish.